Q: “Is it possible to play my DVD movies on Apple TV 4K, I don’t want to purchase the online movies again from iTunes store. Any suggestions? Thanks!”
The Apple TV 4K delivers the best streaming video available to compatible 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision TVs. 4K HDR titles on iTunes cost less than competitors. It offers the most polished streaming experience today, the best remote on the market and excellent Siri voice options. For DVD collectors, if you don’t want buy the movies from iTunes store again, you can stream and play your DVD movies on Apple TV 4K. Here’s the how to do and please keep on reading.
Method 1. Stream DVD Movies to Apple TV 4K with AirPlay
Latest Macbook, iMac support AirPlay Mirroring, you can cast DVD movies from Mac to Apple TV 4K via Airplay directly. Just use a common Macbook Pro with the Superdrive (an external USB CD/DVD drive) or any other Mac with DVD drive, as long as it is compatible with AirPlay Mirroring (Mac requirements for AirPlay Mirroring).
When you insert a DVD disc on Mac, of course you’ll open the DVD player to play DVD movies. However, for DVD copyright protection, Apple won’t allow DVD streaming if DVD player on Mac is used. So it is wise to install a third-party freeware like VLC. Then, follow below easy steps to stream DVD movies to Apple TV 4K for playing on HDTV with ease.
Steps to AirPlay DVD Movies to Apple TV 4K with VLC
1. Go to “File > Open Disc…” in VLC media player and open your DVD.
2. Go to the top right of your Mac desktop and click on the icon that looks like a TV to enable AirPlay Mirroring
3. Go to audio setting and click on Audio Device to open all the available options. Ensure that AirPlay is selected in this list.
4. Choose the video settings you would like to use to play the video with. The same steps as Audio setting.
5. Please bear in mind that during mirroring or streaming process, your Mac computer and Apple TV 4K must connect to the same network. Then, you see the VLC window on your TV. Double Click in the video window for fullscreen and start your movie.
Editor Notes: Here are some Tips for improving AirPlay Mirroring Performance, if you have some troubles during the process.
Method 2. Convert DVD Movies to Apple TV 4K for Streaming
Alternative solution for you is to rip and convert DVD movies to Apple TV 4K supported formats for streaming from Mac/PC to Apple TV 4K via iTunes, Plex Media Server. Below are Apple TV 4K supports Video/Audio formats:
- H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile
- HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p
- H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Audio Formats: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1)
To rip/convert DVD movies to Apple TV 4K supported video/audio formats, I suggest you use Brorsoft DVD Ripper for Mac /Windows. With it, you can rip/convert any (protected) DVD to Apple TV 4K supported 4K/HD/SD H.264 MP4, M4V, MOV, H.265 MP4, etc formats without losing quality. Besides Apple TV 4K, you can also rip and backup DVD to 150+ popular devices including iPhone (iPhone 8/X), iPad (iPad Pro), Android Phones/Tablets, TVs(Amazon Fire TV, Samsung TV), PS4/3, Xbox One S and many more.
Free download best DVD to Apple TV 4K Converter:
Guide: Rip/Convert DVD to Apple TV 4K Supported Formats for Streaming and Playback
Mac version Brorsoft DVD Ripper were taken as example, Windows shares the same steps. Just keep in mind you have download the right version, Mac platform .exe files cannot be installed on Windows OS – and vice versa.
Step 1. Install and run the best DVD to Apple TV 4K Converter, and click Load disc button to load the DVD movies to the program. Here, DVD ISO and Video_TS folder files are supported as well.
Step 2. Simple click Format button to pick up a proper format i.g. Apple TV H.264 1920*1080(*.m4v) from Apple TV category as the target format.
Or you can choose H.264 MP4, MOV, M4V, H.265 MP4 in Common Video or HD Video category as well.
Tips: If you like, you can click the Settings icon to adjust codec, aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channel, etc.
Step 3. Finally, click the Convert icon to start ripping/converting DVD movies to Apple TV 4K, DVD copy protection will be removed automatically. Afterwards, tap the Open button to quickly locate the ripped files. Then, import them to iTunes, or Plex Media Server for streaming and playing on TV via Apple TV 4K.