This article show you a medhtod to play the DVD disc with VLC on Mac, even if the VLC won’t play the DVD disc default, a solution provide.
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
How to play DVD on VLC on Mac
A Mac Computer with DVD-Rom drive
The VLC media Player for Mac
A standard DVD
- Insert the DVD movie or video you want to watch into your Mac.
- The default program for a DVD on a Mac is called “DVD Player” and it will start automatically unless you go into its preference settings and disable the auto play on insert function. If DVD Player did start when you inserted the disc, quit that software.
- Open the VLC program.
- In VLC, drag the DVD disc icon into the “Drop media here” window (you can also choose File>Open Disc…)
- Your DVD disc should be listed, so clicking the Open button should start playback.
- The disc should begin playing (you may need to choose “Play” or something similar from a disc menu). You can use the arrow keys to navigate the menu. Press Enter to make a selection.
- You can view the movie full screen by choosingVideo>Fullscreen from the menu. You can also use the ⌘-F keyboard shortcut. Press the shortcut again (or ESC) to go back to the smaller window.
- That’s it. Enjoy your movie.
|Tip: Make VLC the default player on Mac
Right-click on the type of file you want to always open with VLC. Click ‘Get Info’. In the ‘Open With’ section, select VLC from the drop-down menu. To apply this change to all files of this type, click the ‘Change All’ button.
For optical media, like CDs or DVDs, go to Apple -> System Preferences and choose “CDs/DVDs” in the Hardware section. Choose “Other Application” from the respective popup menu button. The list is alphabetical, so VLC should be near the bottom of the list.
What to do when VLC won’t work with DVD on Mac
In case there are a lot of unsolved problems that you are experiencing every now and again when it comes to playing DVD with VLC on Mac. These reasons vary, one reason behind it is that your VLC media player is lacking all the needed codecs; therefore, you will need to download the combined community codec pack so that it can play your DVD with a lot of ease. This option can be helpful if only the file you are playing is not supported by the codec’s available in your VLC player.
You’ll need two files: keys database and AACS dynamic library.
|Keys database UPDATED 21-02-2016! get the file
Mac OS X: put it in ~/Library/Preferences/aacs/ (create it if it does not exist)
|AACS dynamic library UPDATED 22-02-2016! get that file
Mac OS X: put that file in ~/lib directory (create it, if it does not exist)
Tip: VLC does not yet support DVD menus so you must manually select title to play.
All-in-one Solution: Rip DVD to Digital Format for VLC on Mac
As a professional and powerful tool, Brorsoft DVD Ripper for Mac(perfessional DVD Ripper, rip all the DVDs, copy protected commercial DVD, such as Disney DVD) can help users to rip DVD movies for play on VLC on Mac. With it, you can rip DVD discs and convert DVD ISO/IFO image files and DVD Folder to any digital format, such as H.264, MKV, QuickTime, MOV, H.265(HEVC) or backup the DVD keeping the whole movie structure as you need. With the built-in editor, you can edit the DVD videos as you like, Merge, Split and Select Subtitles and Audio Track, even for watching on your protable devices.
Step 1. Click disc button to load DVD movies.
As you see, DVD disc, ISO, IFO and DVD folder are also supported. You can select subtitles and audio track (English, French, German, Spanish…) for each chapter.
Step 2. Set output format. Click on “Format” bar to select output format. Here you can choose rip DVD to *.mp4, *.mov, etc on for playing on VLC on Mac.
Step 3. Click the “Convert” icon, the DVD to VLC conversion will start immediately.
You can follow the converting process in the “Conversion” interface.
When the conversion finished, you can get the output files for your VLC via clicking on “Open” button effortlessly.
Now you can watching the conveted DVD movies with VLC smoothly on your Mac.